With a history that spans 90 years we have had the opportunity to occasionally be a small factor in some very important projects and artifacts.
Statue of Liberty
Kenneth Lynch was hired to work on the Statue of Liberty in 1926 -1927 to do repairs to the copper as there were many leaks. While doing his work he located the original French tools that were used to build the statue on site. He was able to use these tools exactly as they were intended and at the completion of the project he placed them back where he found them. However, the contract Mr. Lynch had signed required the site to be ‘broom clean upon completion’ therefore they insisted Mr. Lynch remove the French tools.
After many years Mr. Lynch was finally able to communicate to the National Parks Service that these tools were artifacts that should be housed in the museum. On April 3rd ,1982 the Parks Service celebrated Mr. Lynch, his work and his honesty in wanting to return the French tools. The highlight of the day was a demonstration and display of the repousse technique.
The Chrysler Building was built in 1928 out of stainless steel sheet metal. Many metal workers were called on at the time to bend and form the straight work. But when it came to the rounded edges and contours of the Heroic Eagles they required a true craftsman. The style of metal working used to create these sculptures is repousse, which is the art of hammering metal from the reverse side. They found Kenneth Lynch, known for his armor work, which is created in the same method and he did not disappoint. The eagles are of course still in place today.
Image via Connecticut History
The Guild School of Metalcraft
Kenneth Lynch had a school in Long Island City, NY, during the years after the great depression called “The Guild School of Metalcraft.” It is common to find some of the silver vessels created in this shop on antique sites and ebay, they are stamped with the name Kenneth Lynch. It was out of this shop that the work on the Chrysler Building and the 1939 World’s Fair took place. Many catalogs of metal work were produced during his time at this location. The addition of Lead statuary and ornaments took place in this shop.
Readers Digest Pegasus
The Reader’s Digest Building, Chappaqua, NY, built in 1939 has a central cupola adorned by four Pegasus reliefs. Wheeler Williams sculpted the Pegasus model, and Kenneth Lynch transformed heavy copper sheets into the amazingly detailed figures that are still in place today. As of 2016 the building’s rotunda entrance and cupola are to remain intact while the rest of the building will be transformed into an apartment complex.
A notable achievement post World War II was the replacement of the gates at the Rockefeller Estate in Tarrytown, NY. Pocantico Hills, the estate also known as Kykuit, had a set of magnificent gates created for the entry in 1909. These gates had a large amount of copper ornamentation in the form of hand hammered leaves. During WWII the gates were dismantled and the copper used for munitions fabrication. It should be noted that during the First World War the original gates were removed and placed into storage for safekeeping. In 1965 Governor Nelson Rockefeller commissioned the re-creation of these gates. Working from this old image, Lynch’s oldest son Michael took on the role of chief designer and blacksmith for the work and the installation.
Old North Church
The Old North Church in Boston, MA, suffered the loss of its steeple in 1954 during a hurricane. The original weathervane made by Paul Revere was destroyed so badly that it had to be remade in its entirety. Kenneth Lynch completed this work with his skilled craftsmen and the vane was installed on the new steeple. Then in 1976 Timothy Lynch was called upon by the National Parks Service for the church’s Bicentennial celebration for the next repair. The weathervane was removed from the church and brought to the workshop in Wilton, CT, for renovation and preservation with the finishing touch of new gold leaf being hand applied.
In 1998 the Olin Partnership of Philadelphia designed a bench for Hermann Park, Houston, TX, and Kenneth Lynch & Sons was selected to carry out the production and fabrication of the benches. Working with the architect from the beginning, we had the opportunity to ensure this new model satisfied their needs and also fit within the realms of fabrication tolerances. In 2015 another large scale renovation of the park was made and additional benches were installed.
Southern Hemisphere Sundial
In 2001 a bronze sundial for the Chung Ling High School in Penang, Malaysia, was designed, engineered and fabricated under the direction of Timothy Lynch. Extensive research was completed in order to ensure a southern hemisphere sundial would function correctly. Vis Upatisring, Ph.D. donated the sundial as a member of the class of 1954.
Virginia Commonwealth University - School of Engineering
Smith + McClane Architects designed the 4 column like rams that were to adorn the cooling towers of Snead Hall, constructed 2004-2007. Robert Shure of Skylight Studios sculpted the rams from the architect’s renderings and Kenneth Lynch & Sons fabricated the massive cast stone ornaments. In addition to the tower rams, a pair of reclining rams were created for the main entry.